Sunday, 20 December 2015

Early Doors

For those of you unfamiliar with the term "early doors" , it is a Northernism for something happening sooner than expected....

This morning I had one of those moments.  I attend an 8am Mass at some distance from my home at a large and "important" church which has been designated as a place of pilgrimage for the Year of Mercy and so has a Holy Door.

When I arrived at Mass, it was just like any other Sunday; cold dark, nobody around save a jogger and the odd taxi driver.  As usual, after a long journey and post-morning medication, I was in need of the lavatory.  This can only be accessed at that hour from inside the church. I was not thinking about much more than my bladder as I walked towards the church porch.  Post-toilet, I'd get into "worship-zone", bless myself at the stoup, genuflect before the Lord and take my place in my pew of choice.  But lo and behold, the usual door to the church was cordoned off and we were to walk through the Holy Door.

Oh, hang on a minute thought I, this isn't fair!  Essentially this is my door to the lav, I'm going to the loo before I go to Mass. I would like to be able to choose when I make use of the Holy Door, to mediate on what I am doing, and to conform heart, mind and body to God's designs and Holy Mother Church's generosity in being able to grant indulgences. I was hoping for a special first use of the Holy Door, not one thrust upon me with no choice, when nature had the upper hand.

I don't suppose it matters much.  Grace perfects nature, it doesn't override it.  We all have calls of nature, and whilst alive, we always will.

It is a bit like life really.  Things don't happen in the order we want them to.  Things don't happen at times we think would be most suitable.  Sometimes thinking of God is thrust upon us when it is "inconvenient".....

and just perhaps Mercy works in that way..... we may do all we can to seek repentance, to be contrite, to promise God we will do of our best in future, but we keep doing it on our terms, perhaps we have to stop thinking about ourselves completely, perhaps our hopes and desires are nothing more significant than the fullness of our bladders, yet God comes to us.  God meets us in our corrupted nature and maybe we never really "know" when we have been in receipt of His mercy, we could have thought we were just going to the loo, but God had other plans....

I can and will pick up indulgences for myself, sinner that I am, and for the Holy Souls in Purgatory in good time.

1 comment:

Ttony said...

No comment: just saying "Spot on!" as usual and wishing you a very Happy Christmas.