Thursday, 24 December 2015

Astronomical reflection

A Happy and Holy Christmas to my loyal reader

I'm recalling the feast of the Immaculate Conception 2014.  Somehow it seemed to be one of those momentous, yet hiddenly significant days.  The church where I went to  Mass that evening was beautiful and Father preached with lightness and joy.  He quoted a French poet who died in WW1 who said "The Immaculate Conception is everything!".  And yes he was/is right.  There is something so spectacularly true, beautiful and good about that feast; about how it manifests God's loving relationship to His creatures.  And the heavens agreed.  Shining through the windows of the small church and providing illumination to my missal was a staggeringly bright, clear full moon.  The moon was utterly resplendent in the reflected light of the sun.  Yes, thought I, this will be the year of the Immaculate Conception for me, she will guide me, she will protect me, she will be my truth in darkness. She who conquers all heresies, she who loves with all tenderness....

And on the way home and for a couple of hours afterwards, I was treated to a crowning of the moon with a 22 degree halo (as shown below, only it was much sharper).  It sealed my resolve to make this the year of the Immaculate Conception. I was high with the beauty of it all.



It is probably wrong to read too much into the heavens.....

On New Year's day, I played the "find me a saint for 2015" game and visited a site that would do just that.  St John Berchmans was chosen for me, and I must admit to knowing nothing about him at the time.  BUT it was he who did much to promote devotion to the Immaculate Conception and he has been my rock this year.  He has been a devoted companion and his resolve to make the ordinary duties of state holy has been my resolve too.  It has been a foul year, but he has been there for me.  I have been fortunate enough to make a journey to a relic of him and receive a blessing with it.  I think he will be a permanent patron, I can't imagine being without him now.



And then things got really bad....
I asked a priest for advice and he suggested that I make a 33 day consecration to Our Lady, as after the Sacraments this should be just about the most powerful source of protection one could have.  A plan was drawn up and the 33 days this would finish on the feast of the Immaculate Conception 2015. After a couple of weeks when I saw far more than usual of the inside of the confessional, things settled down and the consecration was done with little fuss, a lightness of touch, and a deep interior peace.

What about the heavens that night?  Everything was overcast.  No sign of the moon. Father's preaching was far sterner, but it was what we needed to hear.  It was about the Truth.  It was about Mercy in Truth.  There was a tangible weight of exhaustion about the church, about the people, about everything...... but She was there..... only totally hidden.......

The following morning, as if to re-echo this, there appeared the tiniest slither of a moon and what looked to be Mars and Venus, competing with each other in their brightness and boldness.  It felt as if she was most definitely there, but nearly completely hidden..... but that is when she is at her most powerful.....

It is probably wrong to read too much into the heavens.......

Now, tonight, Christmas Eve 2015, the moon is nearly completely full... and Our Lady is fully aglow with the impending birth of her Son.  She is leading us to Him.....

And we so desperately need Him to be born anew in our hearts.  There is so much healing needed, and as one of the antiphons this morning said....

This day you shall know that the Lord is coming, and tomorrow you shall see His glory....

Amen.

1 comment:

Robert said...

Hi Rita. I stopped by to read a few of your posts. I love your thoughts and meditations, always ripe and full and thought-provoking. You and your intentions remain in my prayers. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. Robert