Sunday, 7 December 2014

Holy Theologians, Batman!

For the first time in his pontificate, I have really taken offence at something the Bishop of Rome has uttered.  You can read it here : http://www.catholicherald.co.uk/news/2014/12/06/the-church-needs-more-female-theologians-says-pope-francis/

Normally, I find his style very petrine: loving, passionate and foolhardy.  One just knows his heart is in the right place, but like Peter he can be totally irritating, but that is my problem not his, he is the Rock, and that is that, and I accept his rockiness, that is part of my faith.

However, hmmmm, I'm exceedingly uncomfortable when he says we need more female theologians.   My uneasiness stems from my asking: just what is a theologian?

Isn't a theologian one who studies the Divine?  Isn't that all of us who claim to be Christians?  Don't we all embark on a journey to study the Divine.  Theology is a practical science and one we should all be very much involved in undertaking.  Is the Holy Father saying we need more female Christians?  Surely not!

I have a horrid feeling the Holy Father is referring to those who are professional theologians, those who make their living out of its study (and not necessarily its practice).  We need more theologians like the mice in my kitchen need a trap.  Lord preserve us from professional Catholics, Lord preserve us from professional theologians, irrespective of their genital apparatus.

Being a theologian is not one of the manifestations of the Spirit that St Paul talks about in 1 Cor 12.  The Spirit can give the word of wisdom, the word of knowledge, the grace of healing ,the working of miracles, prophecy, the discerning of spirits, tongues and interpretation of speeches.  It is these things that we need, and the Holy Spirit can only work in those who seek the Lord with humility and purity of heart.  I can not reconcile this with a life in academia studying "theology".

We should be living theology not studying it.  There is such danger in seeing the Church as being made up of two things, a body of professionals and those who ought to be grateful for the work those professionals do.  I've heard better theology from a 5 year old child than from many a professional theologian.

Strawberry on the cake, pah!

No comments: