Thursday, 8 May 2014

Grumpy Cat-holic

Hi Gang,

I thought my last post would be my last post for a very long while, but I'm back.  I'd become really fed up with the Catholic blog world and in particular I'd found myself increasingly frustrated by the whole Protect the Pope saga; I disliked that blog almost as much as I dislike Catholic Church Conservation and  Rorate Caeli.  I struggled to see any merits in it whatsoever.  But I seemed to be in a very small minority and then all the carping about +Campbell just about finished me off.  We don't treat our Bishops like that and call ourselves Catholics.

The phrase I like is "critical solidarity" when it comes to the hierarchy of the Church and permit me to indulge in a bit of that right now, it is the reason for this post.

Joseph Shaw has a good piece on Cardinal Kaspar and the giving of Communion to those in "irregular" relationships. http://www.lmschairman.org/2014/05/cardinal-kaspar-replies-to-his-critics.html

What I found worrying about the Cardinal's words is what he says about those who live heroically as "brother and sister" as a consequence of a previously failed relationship:

To live together as brother and sister? Of course I have high respect for those who are doing this. But it’s a heroic act, and heroism is not for the average Christian.

 I'm afraid I find the phrase "average Christian" deeply offensive.  We have all been called to be saints, we have all been called to a life of heroic virtue.  I'm left wondering if he really loves us, because he doesn't sound very ambitious for us.  We're just Joe and Joanna Average and heroic virtue is beyond us.  Has he forgotten the Holy Spirit?

Then I mooch over to Fr Ray Blake's blog and find out there are moves to have Paul VI beatified later this year. http://marymagdalen.blogspot.co.uk/2014/05/blessed-paul-vi.html I'm increasingly of the opinion that NO POPES should be beatified or canonised PERIOD.  So a Pope does what he's supposed to do and defends Church teaching at a time when it was seriously under threat. Yes, that takes great heroic virtue granted, but he is only doing what was asked of him by Christ. Are we to canonise every Pope who does not errr, who does not flinch from duty, who states Church teaching as it is, was and ever shall be? Find me a Pope who has not done this?  There may even be a cause for Alexander VI, I'm being serious. Surely the Church in Her modesty should never canonise Her Chief Steward (Martyrdom notwithstanding) it nearly sounds like nepotism.

And then I start to like the two posts together, Joseph Shaw's and Fr Ray Blake's and I start to get grumpy.  It is almost as if we the flock, are not considered capable of holiness or considered capable of being shepherded towards holiness.  Yet Popes somehow exude holiness and somehow we should build up cults around them as if they existed as some unobtainable odour of sanctity, not for imitation but for admiration.

Bleurgh, this sounds horribly like CLERICALISM at its worst.

1 comment:

Robert (briefthink.blogspot.com) said...

Dear Rita
Happy Saint Rita's feastday to you!

I thought I'd also add that I agree with you about the "average Christian" comment, although it is possible that the Cardinal was thinking in terms of not what many Christians are called to, but of what they actually THINK about their vocation. But that in itself is pretty sad because Cardinals really ought to be encouraging us toward that heroic sanctity rather than leaving us in our misguided minimalism.

However, on canonizing Popes, I think perhaps Popes and Bishops need the examples of canonized Popes and Bishops, especially since so many of THEM appear to be minimalists like the "average Christian." One wonders how they got to be Cardinals!

Any way, Happy Feast Day!

Robert