Wednesday, 23 April 2014

Synthesis

I've always thought the Divine Mercy devotions to be a fine thing and St Faustina is a saint I am very fond of.  What I couldn't quite fathom is why Divine Mercy Sunday had to be positioned where it is, what is the specific connection between this feast and Easter?  However, I think I've fathomed it out and this comes from now being nearly completely immersed in the older rite, both for the Mass and for the Office.  It is the older rite which makes sense of positioning the Feast of Divine Mercy and not the newer rite.  Hence the title of this post, synthesis; a new feast and the old liturgy.

Let me explain.

In the older form of the liturgy, epistle for Easter Sunday is also the lesson in the Office for the whole of  the Easter Octave, it is 1 Cor 5: 7-8

Brethren, purge out the old leaven, that you may be a new paste, as you are unleavened: for Christ our Pasch has been sacrificed.  Therefore let us feast, not with the old leaven, nor with the leaven of malice and wickedness, but with the unleavened bread of sincerity and truth.

 On first reading this I was puzzled.  It is not the most exuberently joyous thing St Paul ever wrote so what makes it fit the season?  I was puzzled by the emphasis on purging.  Surely that was Lent, surely the purging is over?  The context of this bit of Paul is scary stuff.  He is talking about excommunicating an adulterer from the brethren and delivering him "to Satan for the destruction of the flesh".  This seems so very terrible until you see that excommunication is actually an act of mercy.  If somebody is no longer within the Church, it is up to God alone to judge them (as St Paul goes on to explain at the end of this chapter).  If the serious sinner remains in the Church he can cause no end of damage to the Body of Christ, corrupting it terribly.  This will bring down a very heavy judgement from on high as it mocks the sacrifice of Our Lord. Bishops have to exert their office of binding and losing.  A certain amount of judging has to go on, some people should be excommunicated if there is any chance of saving their souls. St Paul is clear on this and we ought to listen to him.  It is a last resort and the faithful, through their prayers can do much to prevent things reaching this sorry state.

So purging during the Easter Octave, what is it all about?  Well, hopefully we have had a good Lent and have purified ourselves, by the grace of God.  We are now in a position to purify the Church through our prayers and remove all traces of the old, corrupting leaven, this is our new purge. To be like Christ is to enter into eternal life with Him and to have no mark of decay. Yeast is a fungus and therefore feeds on decay.  It is not part of our new life.  The leaven must be removed, sin in the Church must be rooted out and this is the very week when we are most cleansed and most able to assist in this act through our prayers.

And how do we purge the Church?  Well, surely it is through the priestly prayers to the Divine Mercy that we, the priesthood of all believers can make. It is not for us to go bringing down judgement on the sinners known to us in the Chruch (unless any Bishops are reading this), but it is very much up to us to pray to God for His Mercy on those individuals who break our hearts through their sinfulness or cause public scandal.  The more we can do this, the purer our hearts and the more the Truth will be manifest within the Church.

The Love of God is the flower - Mercy is the fruit

Divine Mercy, gushing forth from the bosom of the Father,
I trust in you
Divine Mercy, greatest attribute of God,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, incomprehensible mystery,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, fount gushing forth from the mystery of the Most Blessed Trinity
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, unfathomed by any intellect, human or angelic,
I trust in you
Divine Mercy, from which wells forth all life and  happiness,
I trust in you
Divine Mercy, better than the heavens,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, source of miracles and wonders,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy. encompassing the whole universe,
I trust in you
Divine Mercy, descending to earth in the Person of the Incarnate Word,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, which flowed out from the open wound of the Heart of Jesus,
I trust in you
Divine Mercy, enclosed in the Heart of Jesus for us, and especially for sinners,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, unfathomed in the institution of the Sacred Host
I trust in you
Divine Mercy, in the founding of Holy Church
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, in the Sacrament of Holy Baptism
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, in our justification through Jesus Christ
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, accompanying us through our whole life
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, embracing us especially at the hour of death
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, endowing us with immortal life
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, accompanying us every moment of our life
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, shielding us from the fire of hell,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy in the conversion of hardened sinners
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, astonishment for Angels, incomprehensible to Saints
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, unfathomed in all the mysteries of God
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, lifting us out of every misery,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, source of our happiness and joy,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, in calling us from nothingness to existence
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, embracing all the works of His hands,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, crown of all of God's handiwork,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, in which we are all immersed,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, sweet relief for anguished hearts,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, only hope of despairing souls,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, repose of hearts, peace amidst fear,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, delight and ecstacy of holy souls,
 I trust in you
Divine Mercy, inspiring hope against all hope,
 I trust in you

Eternal God, in whom mercy is endless and the treasury of compassion inexhaustible, look kindly upon us and increase Your mercy in us, that in difficult moments we might not despair nor become despondent, but with great confidence sumbit ourselves to Your holy will, which is Love and Mercy itself.

O, incomprehensible and limitless Mercy Divine,
To extol and adore You worthily, who can?
Supreme attribute of Almighty God,
You are the sweet hope for sinful man.

St Faustina's praises of the Divine Mercy.




No comments: