Tuesday, 18 March 2014

Sometimes....

Sometimes I'm simply ill.

Sometimes it is more complicated than that.  There is a spiritual element to all this.  It is possible to pray and to act and for the strength to "go out" of you.  It is humbling and it is also terrifying (in a good way).....  It is all very Lenten, I feel reliant on God for everything...... I have no idea of the outcomes of what I have done, and indeed, it is best not to think of self at this time.  Direct everything to God's good purpose.

I also feel the need to share some verses of St Patrick's breastplate with you.  They're not in a form that finds its way into any sappy hymn.

I arise today, through God's strength to pilot me: God's might to uphold me, God's wisdom to guide me, God's eye to look before me, God's ear to hear me, God's word to speak to me, God's hand to guard me, God's way to lie before me, God's shield to protect me, God's host to save me, from the snares of devils, from temptations of vices, from everyone who shall wish me ill, afar and anear, alone and in a multitude.

I summon today, all these powers between me and those evils, against every cruel merciless power that may oppose my body and soul, against incantations of false prophets, against black laws of pagandom, against false laws of heretics, against craft of idolatory, against spells of women and smiths and wizards, against every knowledge that corrupts man's body and soul.

Find the whole thing. Say it, say it not just for yourself but for the whole Church.  And don't ever forget to praise God. And don't ever lose a holy terror of offending God.  And remember that the laity have the ability to overcome world, flesh and devil, through the normal means (Sacraments and prayers) of the Church.  We can not speak in the name of the Church, we have no authority to do so  But, nevertheless, there is tremendous power right there, for us to use, so use it we must.

Bossy cow, aren't I?


No comments: