Saturday, 11 February 2012

Surge, amica mea

On the feat of St Scholasitca, yesterday, Father reminded us of how St Benedict had the vision of his sister's soul ascending to heaven as a dove.

The folllowing came to mind:

Surge, amica mea, speciosa mea
et veni, columba mea
in foraminibus petrae
in caverna maceriae.

Arise, my love, my beautiful one,
and come;
my dove in the cleft of the rock,
in the hollow places in the wall.


Not because I know the Song of Songs that well, but because of the thing of beauty it has been fashioned into. Dietrich Buxtehude and St Bernard of Clairvaux joined forces to produce a profound meditation on the wound in the side of Our Lord. And maybe no coincidence, but the text forms the gradual of today's Mass for the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes.



Just beautiful, just beautiful

Hail redeeming side,
where is concealed sweet honey;
where is laid out the vigour of love,
and whence surges forth the fountain of blood
that cleanses soiled hearts.

Behold I approach thee
-save me, Jesus, if I transgress-
my forehead bowed down,
to thee, however I come of my own accord,
to examine thy wounds.

At the hour of my death let my breath
enter, O Jesus, thy side,
that expiring it may go to thee,
lest the fierce lion invade it,
and may live eternally in thee.




Ad Jesum per Mariam

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say hello.
Our Home Ed is under the patronage of St Ignatius and St Scholastica. I know that's an odd combination - it just seemed to happen.

I know you aren't well. I hope you get some medical answers soon. It's awful just not knowing.
God bless
Shell
mum6kids

(after many failed attempts I've come to the conclusion that blogger doesn't like wordpress ids so I'm not using it.)

Rita said...

Thanks Shell,

You are ever in my prayers!

Yup, I'm not well and I'm getting very bored with it all. It was a priest a few weeks ago who said we had a duty to avoid martyrdom that got me thinking that we also have a duty to avoid preventable illness. So I'm doing my best to seek some answers/treatment, though it looks like the world just isn't interested.

BTW: Blogger doesn't like some blogger identities either. To comment on some blogs I have to do some real digital acrobatics before it will let me. Google are just too powerful, but I refuse to sign up to the whole gmail/blogger experience so it doesn't like me very much either.