Sunday, 12 June 2011

My new favourite book ever....

I picked this up for £1 in a bookshop yesterday and have been reluctant to put it down since I started reading it. It is quite simply brilliant.



The Spiritual Life: a treatise on Ascetical and Mystical Theology- Very Rev Adolphe Tanquerey SS, DD

As a scientist, I'm happier reading text books than story books or touchy-feely "my experience" books. This is a text book on the science of the Saints. It is just the best resource I have ever seen for growing into your faith. It puts everything together in a coherent framework, showing the relationships between the Creator and the created and comprehensively goes through your life and your relationship with God.

Book 1: The purification of your soul (the purgative way)
Book 2: Progress in the Christian virtues (the illuminative way)
Book 3: the unitive way - the Holy Spirit and Infused Contemplation

It draws on all the major Catholic contemplative traditions.

A dry read, but an illuminating and beautiful one nevertheless.

I think Tan books have a current edition of this.

My copy has the words "ora pro Mr. Barton" written in the front, and that I will do.

1 comment:

berenike said...

Garrigou-Lagrange (Three Ages of the Interior Life) is better!

and online.

:D