Friday, 3 June 2011

Have I done wrong?....

I have been trying to be a daily communicant since my husband died, and for the most part I am succeeding. It involves going to lots of different churches, which in itself is no bad thing. However, it is putting me in some difficult quandries.

Last Friday I attended an OF Mass in honour of St Augustine of Canterbury, I had good reason to attend an EF Mass on the Saturday, many miles from home, but was a little anxious because in the old calendar his feast day was the Saturday, I'm uneasy about doing feast days twice in the same year. With luck (or because the celebrant had previously said the Mass for St Augustine) we had the optional memorial for Blessed Margaret Pole. Excellent and what a good choice, what a fine woman!

This Thursday, I couldn't help but go to the OF Mass for the feast of the Ascension. It felt right to go. It was well attended and very prayerful. I have been in full mourning since the funeral and not wanting to go all Victorian over this, I'd decided that the after the Ascension would be a good time to lighten up my dress a bit. The moving of the feast to Sunday doesn't make any sense in this context, I wanted to "lighten up" after the feast, after the 40 days, and seeing as how my husband's fatal illness had been so linked to Holy Week, I wanted the correct 40 days.

Me want, me want...... I know...what a brat!

Problem is, what to do on Sunday.? I can't miss Mass. But I can't go to the OF Ascension either (can I?).

Does this mean I have to attend an early morning EF low mass on the Sunday? Probably...this will be good for my humility... (I'll say no more than that, but it has nothing to do with the time or the priests involved).

Shop around was a good song by Smokey Robinson and the Miracles, but it is no way to treat the Church.


The Ascension and Pentecost window from St Mary the Virgin- Fairford (some of the best surviving pre-reformation stained glass in the UK)- photographed by Eric Hardy.

5 comments:

mum6kids said...

I wonder if this is tackled in canon law?
It must be a fairly new situation with the EF and OF being together.
Are there rules about other rites that might help?
As you can see I don't have a clue.

Btw the "me me me" aspect doesn't come across. You are grieving - it's deeply personal. It doesn't mean it is automatically selfish. And that includes those odd moments of relief that we seem to go through when someone close who has suffered much dies.
God bless

berenike said...

You could go three times, if you went to EF, OF, and (if it wasn't a year where the dates co-incide) some Byzantine Catholic church where they still use whatever other calendar it is they use. It always feels a bit odd (and one year I missed Epiphany entirely, because of travelling) but there's nothing to say you shouldn't go several times to Mass on the same feast, as it were. Think of the priests who said an EF Ascension Day Mass on Thursday, and will say an OF one this Sunday!

:)

You could always think of it as an Octave :)

Robert said...

Just my opinion, of course, but I don't think you've done anything wrong. Especially in your current circumstances.

Richard Collins said...

Just go to Mass, don't fret, all will be well.

Anagnostis said...

What Richard said.

Bravo sou, as they say hereabouts.