Wednesday, 23 February 2011

Dear Bishop...

Sorry, friends but as this is my blog, I do feel I have a right to say that I am very anti petitions. Petitions are all a bit "studenty", they seem to be the favoured means of engagement of aging, dubious German theologians and quite frankly, is going running to papa every time you feel the playground bullies are going to spoil your fun, really the best way of doing things?

I propose an alternative: write to your Bishop, I've even got the letter here ready for you to use...

Dear Bishop [ insert as appropriate]

I am writing as one of your faithful flock to tell you of the great joy I have experienced since the Holy Father issued his Sumorum Pontificum and clarified the use of the 1962 Roman Missal. I am writing to thank you for [actively supporting the Holy Father's wishes/ not overtly impeding the Holy Father's wishes/ being adjacent to a diocese where I can get to Mass in the Extraordinary Form]. I want to tell you of the marvelous fruits of this endeavour.


Firstly, I will tell you how it has enhanced my own relationship with Our Lord. I have become more aware of the sacred mystery inherent in the Mass. I have become more aware of the sacrificial nature of the Mass. I am able to more actively participate in the Mass due to my more fervent prayer. I am wanting to spend more time with the Blessed Sacrament, I have refound my love for Eucharistic devotion and have become a more frequent user of the sacrament of Penance. I am [not] old enough to remember this Mass first time round, and it has been a real joy to [re]discover its beauty.


Secondly, I want to tell you about some of the other fruits of Sumorum Pontificum. [insert as many of the following as you see relevant]. The sheer number of young people who are inspired and invigorated by the Extraordinary Form and interested in discovering more about the liturgy and the faith. The happiness of the priests who have taken on the challenge of learning the older form. The happiness of the elderly who have longed to hear and participate in the old rite again. The opportuntites for evangelising to members of the SSPX who furtively turn up to these Masses. Finding other like minded souls who want to learn more about plainchant/ the history of our faith/ Latin/ lace making. Not being embarrassed by our liturgy when talking to Anglo-Catholics.


I hope this gives you a flavour of how exciting and invigorating the integration of the Extraordinary Form of the Roman Rite into our worship has been for me [and my family]. I just had to write to give witness to green shoots now now sprouting from the vine as a result of this clever grafting by the Holy Father. I am hoping and praying for your [continued/growing] [intrerest/support/ lack of indifference].


Yours faithfully,

3 comments:

berenike said...

People have been petitioning their bishop and the bishop of Rome since more or less forever. It's not some recent invention.

Rita said...

Though, just because it has always been done, doesn't make it a good thing.

Signing a petition takes too little effort from the signer for it to be truly worthwhile, it should always be done in conjunction with something that takes more effort and is more from the heart, if it is going to be effective.

Anonymous said...

Mmmm what about signing it with a heartfelt prayer?

A rather large group of very concerned Catholic people who were home-educating their children, wrote humbly and politely to all the Bishops, asking for their support when the state was attempting to interfere with their right as parents to be the primary educators of their children, and how many replies did they receive? Three.. mere acknowledgements that their letters had arrived...If a petition works, so what if it takes no time to sign? Yes, we need to pray at the same time too. But please don't expect anything great from writing heart-filled missives, unless your letter happens to reach the one orthodox Bishop left standing...
Margaret.