Sunday, 10 October 2010

Wholesome wheat....

Dear Religious who make Altar Breads,

My dear sisters, can I make a small request that when you make the breads, they are made with the finest white flour? Surely the Lamb of God should be made present in the finest white bread? Surely, when Blessed Juliana of Mt Cornillon saw her vision of the moon as the Host and was given her duty to propagate the Feast of Corpus Christi, it was a clean, white moon, not a sludgy harvest moon with the light obscured and refracted through dense dust?

You see, sisters, it doesn't feel right to have these unbleached, brownish altar breads and I have to make another point. It is so hard, actually impossible, to see the Host at the elevation. This is quite upsetting. Nor can the Blessed Sacrament in the monstrance be seen clearly. I want to see my Adorer at Adoration, is this too much to ask?

As for those communities that add spices, please just stop, just stop.

Thank you.

5 comments:

Robert B. Heath said...

You've obviously had worse bread experiences than I have, but I agree about the whiteness. I remember reading something from Pope St. Clement, I think it was, in which he criticized merchants who sold wheat with the "refuse" mixed in (which is what much bread tastes like today!) and it seems to me, if the "best bread" has been made of the purest, finest white flour, WHY would we make the host with "refuse" in it?

It should be pure. It should be white.

mum6kids said...

I've seen those beige breads. Dear me.
But spices???
Words fail me.

Richard Collins said...

Absolutely right.

berenike said...

Spices?

8-0

Rita said...

Yup,

I've even had these breads at a Mass organised by the LMS.

I think they come from Spain.