Sunday, 26 September 2010

Not much to say, really....

Chez Rita, we are going through a somewhat liminal period. DHs health is appalling and the docs are worse than useless; with Rheumatoid Arthritis, Emphysema and several other issues, everybody is saying he is the problem of someone else. After today's Gospel, I've been left wondering whether this is a good definition of being poor; being in need but having no help from your fellow men who have the talent but not the balls to provide the necessary help.

I have a diagnosis! I also have some weird pills that are keeping me going till the next stage of the saga; more detailed diagnostic tests and hopefully an operation. Please, of your charity, pray for us both. We are in fine form spiritually, we are praying for you, but it would be nice for a change to have a little less cr*p in the day to day survival and mundane, insultingly stupid world of "patient care".

Some other thoughts:

Please do not use the phrase Taliban Catholic: it sucks.
Catholic is Catholic is Catholic, all adjectives are superfluous.

I've been lucky enough to attend some EF low Masses recently. I have a big blog entry brewing on "the Last Gospel". Oh, how I wish it was at the end of all Masses, it reduces me to tears....but that must wait.

If you are in Gloucestershire or its environs, the tea rooms at Prinknash Abbey have books for sale from their library. I picked up some good, holy reading; The Life of Gemma Galgani (1913) and Reminiscences of Sister Elizabeth of the Trinity (1921). These books for sale are a fascinating historical trawl through what Catholics have considered important over the years and what some see fit to discard. It will be interesting to see if books from the late 1960s and 1970s prove the hardest to shift.

I wish the blackberries would hurry up and ripen. According to Joanna Bogle, in one of her books, you can't eat them after the feast of St Michael, because the devil spits on them in disgust. He'll have a lot of spitting to do this year.

5 comments:

Mark said...

The book about Bl Elizabeth of the Trinity is wonderful. She shines through as a young woman of extraordinary holiness and prayerfulness (in the midst, towards the end of her life, of some fairly horrendous sufferings). Her own writings are wonderful, too. She's a very worthy cause for canonisation, and definitely worth praying to (if you read French, there's a novena prayer online).

Ttony said...

Prayers for you both continue.

I shudder to think what babies the monks are throwing out with the bathwater.

Tom in Vegas said...

Most assuredly I will pray for you BOTH.

mum6kids said...

Prayer and pain and nausea offered.
I'm asking G.K. and Frances Chesterton to take me on- I'll ask them to add you.

I loathe the NHS and am tired of medics who are deaf and dim.
Awaiting hypertension Clinic- told it could be up to 8 weeks. Just hope I don't have a stroke before then.
I also seem to need a Pain Clinic appt but I just can't bring myself to ask- seeing some other people's experience on those places doesn't fill me with confidence.

Somewhere we lost our humanity - or gave it up. Until we get it back I think patient "care" will continue to be a sick joke.

Glad you are getting some spiritual consolation.
Haven't been to Prinknash in years. Must go again...

Robert B. Heath said...

Rita

It's good to have a diagnosis, now hopefully there is a direction to pursue, with a little more light on the shadows.

I will pray hard for you and DH.

I love Gemma Galgani. Read her life in the Tan Books edition. Maybe the same...

God bless you.

Robert