Wednesday, 21 July 2010

meme thing

Patricius has tagged me with the "favourite prayer" meme. I've decided to interpret "favourite" as in "favourite food", something you love but don't necessarily have every day, as opposed to "favourite cardigan" something reassuring, habitual and comforting. I think our "cardigan prayers" are all much the same. The rules for this meme appear at the end of the post.

In no particular order:

(1) This is a stunner, for quiet devotional prayer. Blessed Elizabeth of the Trinity's prayer to the Trinity. (here)

(2) This one if for saying out loud, very loud, especially when the chips are down. It is so ancient and so wonderful: the Te Deum. (here)

(3) The stations of the cross (to be said privately or in a group, always profound, genuflect aswell, and kneel, make it hurt, this is prayer with discipline of the body too): (here)


Most bloggers I know have already been tagged, but I would like to know how Ttony, Deb, Shell, Tom and Autumn would respond to this. But I fully understand if you've taken your bat home for now.

I was tempted to include my misappropriation of Psalm 143, often said when teaching "Deliver me Lord, from the hands of strange children"

The rules, which need to be posted: Name your three most favourite prayers, and explain why they're your favourites. Then tag five bloggers - give them a link, and then go and tell them they have been tagged. Finally, tell the person who tagged you that you've completed the meme... The Liturgy and the Sacraments are off limits here. I'm more interested in people's favourite devotional prayers.

4 comments:

Olivia said...

I love the Te Deum... but I didn't mention it as a favorite, cause I say it only on Sundays...and not daily :(

Ttony said...

I've mentioned elsewhere that my three are: the "Hail Mary" of course, not least because my father started one in this world and finished in the next; "Holy Michael, Archangel", because I have only discovered it since 2007 and every time I say it I grow more aware of its power; and the (Archconfraternity of St Stephen) altar server's prayer: "Direct, we beseech Thee, O Lord, our actions by Thy inspiration, and further them by Thy continual help ; that every prayer and work of ours may always begin from Thee, and through Thee be likewise ended. Amen."

Autumn said...

I've done mine Rita, here: http://iamhisbeloved.wordpress.com/2010/07/26/my-3-favourite-devotional-prayers/

mum6kids said...

I'm saying the Seven Sorrows rosary every day; I guess that makes it my favourite prayer-although it's more a group of prayers.
I truly love the De profundus. Umm wonder what that says about me.