Saturday, 27 March 2010

"Our end is Life"

This wonderful poem, Thalassa by Louis MacNeice, says so much to us at the moment.


Run out the boat, my broken comrades;

Let the old seaweed crack, the surge

Burgeon oblivious of the last

Embarkation of feckless men,

Let every adverse force converge--

Here we must needs embark again.



Run up the sail, my heartsick comrades;

Let each horizon tilt and lurch--

You know the worst: your wills are fickle,

Your values blurred, your hearts impure

And your past life a ruined church--

But let your poison be your cure.



Put out to sea, ignoble comrades,

Whose record shall be noble yet;

Butting through scarps of moving marble

The narwhal dares us to be free;

By a high star our course is set,

Our end is Life. Put out to sea.

2 comments:

Ttony said...

Spooky! I was reading the Autumn Journal earlier.

I thought I was the only person left who reads Louis MacNeice.

Thanks for this - I tend to neglect the late poems.

mum6kids said...

As the Vigil Mass is about to begin I feel this is at last the end of Lent.
It's been a heavy Lent this year-hope your cross will be lighter for a while (and mine too).
Looking for Hope.
God bless

Happy and Holy Easter