Tuesday, 9 June 2009

News

MIL (Phyllis)died peacefully in her sleep earlier this week, I humbly request you please pray for her soul.

There is much I wish to write about, but it doesn't seem quite appropriate at the moment. DH is devastated....

I will however say that I am finding great solace at the moment using "Divine Intimacy" by Fr Gabriel of St Mary Magdalene, which has been beautifully reprinted by Baronius Press. Whilst MIL was suffering and we were wondering why the good Lord was not taking her from us in her agony, the following passage gently instructed my raging heart:

Just as the Holy Spirit dwelt in the most holy soul of Christ in order to bring it to God, so He abides in our souls for the same purpose. In Jesus he found a completely docile will, one that He could control perfectly, whereas in us He often meets resistance, the fruit of human weakness; therefore, He desists from the work of our sanctification because He will do no violence to our liberty.


I'd not really got anywhere near appreciating the relationship between our free will and the will of God before reading that.

I also noticed for the first time that the battle for the soul really does take place as someone dies. I may write about what I saw at some later date, but not now. I just ask you to recall what you already know, that the prince of this world will do his best to lead you away from God right up to the time of your death, and that he seems to show a special interest in those that are doggedly faithful to God. This is not an excuse to lapse away from your faith but a reminder to make sure you embrace and submit to your faith and the sacraments even more fully.

I do fear the Catholic blogworld is getting more egocentric, argumentative and obsessed with earthly and largely irrelevant goings-on....this is not the work of God. Please be warned, and practice even greater humility and vigilance.

5 comments:

Rita said...

Hallo Rita my blogging friend,
I am sorry to hear your news and I shall pray for your mother-in-law and I shall also pray for your husband and for you - the ones left behind.

On another note, i totally agree with your last paragraph.
Kirk

ukok said...

I will of course offer prayers for the repose of your Mother in Law's soul. May she rest in peace and may you and your hubbie be comforted at this sad time.

Rita said...

Thank you.

pontesisto said...

May she rest in peace and those who mourn her be comforted.

Mrs.Pogle said...

I am so sorry for your loss, Rita and Husband :( May she rest in the peace of the Lord.

I think your last paragraph is spot on, thanks! :)

Mrs.P xx