Sunday, 15 March 2009

Sanctuary

Please continue to pray for my DH, he is not a well man. We made a special journey of many miles to an 8am Mass (1962 Missal). Many moons ago, DH wanted to be a priest. OK, the year before he had wanted to be a train driver, but as a 10 yr old boy and with the generous backing of some missionary fathers he entered junior seminary. Something happened there that has left its mark, but no it wasn't at the hands of any of the priests (though some of them were nasty brutes), and it was more serious than the maggots the religious sisters left in their cooking.

Suffice to say, he needs reminding every now and then of the times before junior seminary, of helping to serve the Mass like he did (pre VII), of feeling the honour of being an altar boy, of the dignity and reverence of the priesthood. DH is no mad traddie, but he loves the Lord and he loves seeing men behave with dignity, in the most dignified way they can, as priests.

Over time too many sanctuaries have become violated. The Lord's sanctuary has had its altar rails stripped away, reverence has been erroded. I can not help but see a parallel to the lack of dignity afforded to our own bodies.

When we know our bodies have been violated, in whatever way, we can not turn back the clock, but we can kneel before the Lord in His sanctuary, and His healing Grace is boundless.


Picture found using Google of the Catholic Church in Earl Park Indiana (demolished after a fire in 2000)

Ps 95: Praise and beauty are before him: holiness and majesty in his sanctuary.

10 comments:

ukok said...

Your DH is in my prayers, as are you.

Mrs.Pogle said...

Oh, praying for your husband, Rita ~ may God bless Him and bring healing to the deep areas of hurt.

It's been good to catch up with you today ~ I have been very quiet on the blogosphere during Lent. I pray that Lent is proving to be a blessed time for you.

God bless,
Mrs.P (formerly AR) xx

pontesisto said...

Very good point about the link between the way we violate God's sanctuary, whether the Church or the body.

Back in my hometown, one of the EO Ministers of the Eucharist was a leading surgeon, so he should have known better than to administer Communion in his shorts and a tee shirt.

Lex Orandi, Lex Credendi!

Regretfully Anon said...

I will be serving EF Mass on Thursday for the feast of St Joseph, a husband who went through a thing or two, and I'll offer it up for your DH.

Rita said...

Thank you all so much!

God Bless.

pontesisto said...

You are both in my prayers! God bless.

Adrienne said...

I understand how DH feels and will keep him in my prayers.

mum6kids said...

I'll pray too. Sorry I haven't been around much; seem to be spending all my time Govt watching. Yuk! Must do something else.
God bless you both.

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

Do you mind updating to my new blog?

irene said...

Be of good cheer. Reverence is alive and well, if you only look for it in the right place.