Wednesday, 1 October 2008

Another Anniversary

Kirk has posted that today is the anniversary of the birth of Henry III, I post another anniversary. It is three hundred years since the death of the fine English composer John Blow. Radio 3 celebrated with a fine choral evensong from Westminster Abbey which I was able to listen to on my way home from work. For the next 7 days you can listen to the evensong courtesy of the BBC here. It is a real treat.

Kirk has also posted a prayer request which I think you ought to read, here.

2 comments:

Kirk said...

That is a lovely selection and, as luck would have it, I bought with me to work the Coronation Music for King James II which includes Blow's 'God spake sometimes in visions' and the beautiful 'Let thy hand be strengthened'.
I am going to be listening to this cd as I potter around today - professional day at school so no students and the teachers are in a conference so I am free to do all those little jobs needing to be done and what better way to work than to the accompaniment of Baroque music!
And Rita, thank you very much for spreading my prayer request. I very much appreciate it.

Ponte Sisto said...

Rita, thanks for the link to choral "Evenfun". Having sung this service frequently as a boy and young adult (sometimes daily), it brings back many happy memories.

I'm also grateful for the opportunity to remember Kirk's intentions.