Friday, 5 September 2008

A quizzy thing found on Mac's blog and open to all. I've just done it cos it was a deep trawl through my past which has steadily become more and more repetitive and respectable...I should get out more.

1. President Kennedy's Assassination - 22 November 1963
I was not born, but my mum was atop a bus in Dublin having just come back from the pictures (an Elvis film she says).

2. England's World Cup Semi Final v Germany - 4 July 1990
Slightly the worse for alcohol in a rented flat in Rochdale.

3. Margaret Thatcher's resignation - 22 November 1990
In a public house in the Leith docks nr. Edinburgh, the pub had the legend on the door "Belgian sailors welcome" and the mature ladies who like to welcome sailors that frequented the establishment were dancing on the tables in celebration of her demise. Don't ask which Edinburgh drinking house I was in when Gulf War One fired up..... I can't remember much apart from the poor go-go girl doing her thing whilst everybody was too transfixed on the TV screens of fighter planes to notice. (All these places have now been sanitised and gentrified...is this a good thing? I'm not sure.)

4. Princess Diana's death - 31 August 1997
At work.

5. Attack on the twin towers - 11 September 2001
At a different work. I remember not being able to get through to one of the maths teachers what had happened, she kept wittering on about something really trivial.

6. The election of Joseph Cardinal Ratzinger to the papacy - 19 April 2005
DH told me when I came home from work.

BTW, I hate the taste of alcohol these days and I've seem too much of the damage it does to people.

6 comments:

Tom in Vegas said...

I was not born yet when Kennedy was assassinated, and still in high school when Margaret Thatcher resigned. At home when Princes Diana passed away, and at work when #5 and #6 transpired.

Irene said...

Assassination of JFK -- that is when Camelot faded back into the mists.

Benedict XVI -- the best hope for Camelot to return.

Alcohol is a neurotoxin. Every drop kills some brain cells. Kill enough and you become demented. That's not what you wanted to know, is it.

Mac McLernon said...

Good one, Rita!

Kirk said...

Yes I know I am late with my response but here goes:
Laying in a cot when Kennedy was assassinated as I was a new born baby. My Mum tells me she sat and watched it on TV and couldn't believe such a thing would happen in the 20th century.
In a pub when we won the semifinal.
I forget where I was when Maggie resigned.
On the cross channel ferry from Calais to Dover when Diana died.
Asleep in Melbourne, Australia when the twin towers attack happened.
Watching the results on TV here in Germany and cheering my head off when Ratzinger was announced!

Rob said...

1. Erm i wasn't born ... and my mother was 6, so she doesn't really remember either =]

2. I was 1 and a bit years old =]

3. Once again one and a bit years old. however i was probably crying =[

4. In a hotel in France

5. In school/or travelling home from school ...

6. Same as above. I remember getting through the door and hearing my brother shout "they elected the Nazi ... oh sorry i meant Ratzi" But i cheered when i saw the re-play of the events and wouldn't let my family watch anything else all evening =]

Rita said...

Nice to hear from you, Rob.

How's university treating you?