Friday, 9 May 2008

Just a polite word to anyone who cares to listen....

Dear All,

I am not happy. Several blogs, some written by bloggers I have the greatest respect for, have been posting about a Mass with a decidedly dodgy and unsettling approach to the sacred liturgy. I think it has been referred to as the "Mr Potatohead mass". Whilst the celebration falls short of what I would consider a "foretaste of the banquet of heaven", the individuals are sincere in what they are doing. I am not happy with some of the very smug comments that have surfaced which make the Catholic bloggers look like a bunch of stuck-up, spoilt brats. "OOOh look at the age of them, tee hee, our TLMs are so full of young people, these old dinosaurs are on their last legs, aren't they pathetic".

My dear brothers and sisters, rather than laugh at these people, we should be praying for their souls. We should be storming heaven with prayers for them. They are victims of bad catechesis and victims of the sick, corrupt world they grew up in. A world that thought "Elanor Rigby" was a good song, a world that thought it had all the answers, a world of revolution and nihilism masquerading as love and truth. These souls grew up looking at the elderly with their mantillas and rosaries and thinking they were dinosaurs on their last legs. These souls thought they had the answers; the Elanor Rigby's and Father Mackenzie's of this world were to be consigned to the past, they were pathetic and lonely and history.

How sad, how deeply sad. It is the very fact that we keep on forgetting the bigger picture; the saving of souls, and our life in the world to come...that we keep repeating this cycle of crass stupidity.

The elderly deserve better catechesis and preparation for death than they get. What are we doing about it? Are those who take part in these dodgy liturgies just to be an object of derision on you-tube? How utterly un-Christian, how low can we get?

It is for us who are strong to bear with the susceptibilities of the weaker ones, and not please ourselves. Each of us must consider his neighbour's good, so that we support one another. Christ did not indulge his own feelings, either; indeed, as scripture says: The insults of those who insult you fall on me. And all these things which were written so long ago were written so that we, learning perseverance and the encouragement which the scriptures give, should have hope. Now the God of perseverance and encouragement give you all the same purpose, following the example of Christ Jesus, so that you may together give glory to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ with one heart.
Romans 15: 1-6

8 comments:

Irene said...

Not only polite, but how very, very wise. Clearly you are one person who understands what the "body of Christ" really means.

Archistrategos said...

Amen! A very, very wise, and timely observation. It's this kind of overzealous snobbery that divides the Body of Christ.

Tom in Vegas said...

Rita-

You do bring up an excellent point.

I did see the video of this mass or whatever it was and I was completely appalled. I did write comments expressing my disapproval for this spectacle, but I never attempted to humiliate the participants by poking fun at their age, handicaps, or, LEAST of all, make the ghastly comment about any of them being on their "last leg." I find those words immoral and wholly un-Christian.

You are correct. The proper way of handing this is to pray for these people who I’m sure had good intentions in their hearts, albeit misguided or uneducated objectives. In retrospect, I’m ashamed of myself for even criticizing them in the first place.

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Oh Rita, thank you for this post. I use the blog world to find people who at last on some level share my faith-but I have begun to feel lately I simply don't belong ANYWHERE. I am appalled and saddened by liturgical abuses I see-but I can't get into this TLM stuff either. There are some people on the 'left' side of the cafeteria that I love rather a lot and pray for. Sometimes I think however wrong they are, they have more charity than those who are so right.
I was beginning to think I was completely alone with these thoughts-but I see I am not.
God bless

Joe said...

Another, similar, thought. If the blogs you are referring to had NOT posted about this .... just think about how many people would NOT know about something that they now DO know about. One aspect of this is people's entitlement to their good name, which may be damaged through unneccesary spreading of gossip (though a degree of anonymity here does relieve this consideration). Another aspect is more political - attacking bad news can have the effect of spreading it! Good politics always tries to positively present your own position without giving publicity to your opposition.

AutumnRose said...

An "Amen" to your post from me, too, Rita :)

berenike said...

The comments have descended to the ad hominem as often as not. Which is rather saddening/irritating (like people caught in incompetence or dishonesty when arguing a pro-life position).

It is an abomination, objectively speaking. And it should be made known. People know about it who wouldn't otherwise. Marvellous. People can see it who otherwise wouldn't believe it. You know how it is - someone describes someone else's bad behaviour to you, and your upbringing and manners lead to you to try to interpret everything as charitably as possible.

You are absolutely right with the mocking. (make allowances for years of misery, though.)

Rita said...

Berenike,

I've seen too many of my family move away from the church because of the "years of misery". It is upsetting.