Wednesday, 21 May 2008

The Future ?

We in the UK find ourselves staring into an abyss of bleakness and horror after the recent voting in the House of Commons, by our elected representatives. I start with a quote from the Catechism of the Catholic Church

1783 Conscience must be informed and moral judgment enlightened. A well-formed conscience is upright and truthful. It formulates its judgments according to reason, in conformity with the true good willed by the wisdom of the Creator. The education of conscience is indispensable for human beings who are subjected to negative influences and tempted by sin to prefer their own judgment and to reject authoritative teachings.


In the future are we as Catholics going to have to refuse treatments developed as a result of these horrific genetic experiments? Are we going to be under pressure to have "saviour siblings" to help children born to us with "genetic defects"? The world will not understand us. Are we going to the Amish or Jehovas Witness of the future in our refusal to entertain certain technological/medical advances on the grounds of their being morally wrong in our eyes. Will the Bishops be our teachers, will they provide clear authoritative teaching, will they help (and help us to help) those in difficult situations? We must pray for good leadership from those whose words and actions we so desperately need for guidance and consolation. I am so utterly out of my depth when it comes to genetics and biology, I cannot use science to talk reasonably with those who think that science has all the answers.

Some verses from Prayer Before Birth by Louis MacNeice. You'll be thinking I don't read anyone else, you'd be wrong, but somehow he finds the words when I can't.

...
I am not yet born, console me.
I fear that the human race may with tall walls wall me,
with strong drugs drug me, with wise lures lure me,
on black racks rack me, in blood-baths roll me.

...
I am not yet born; forgive me
For the sins that in me the world shall commit, my words
when they speak me, my thoughts when they think me,
my treason engendered by traitors beyond me,
my life when they murder by means of my
hands, my death when they live me.

...
I am not yet born; o hear me,
Let not the man who is beast or who thinks he is God
come near me.

1 comment:

ukok said...

I love his quote on the Wikipedia page about him:

"Poetry in my opinion must be honest before anything else and I refuse to be 'objective' or clear-cut at the cost of honesty."