Thursday, 1 May 2008

The car infront contains a daydreamer..

Dear reader, have I told you that I live in one of the most beautiful parts of England? It may have slipped my mind of late to tell you that I am surrounded by rolling hills, deafened by bird song, intoxicated by some of the freshest air this country can provide and mesmerised by a thousand shades of brilliant green.

Now that I have resigned from my job, and am moving elsewhere (not half as nice), everything looks extra beautiful, extra fresh and extra special. I must be a fool. I'm also uprooting my husband from his work and friends, and this hurts like hell. Part of me is longing to stay here, but this is just not practical.

Driving home from work and feeling sorry for myself, it dawned on me that I'm still not putting all my trust in Our Lord. I was so far from the graces He can bestow on me because the longings I have for this green and pleasant land felt stronger that the desire to love and serve Our Lord. Oh how we mess up our minds and confuse our hearts! It is so easy to forget just how simple and beautiful life is.

Keep our eyes on the road and our hearts at the foot of the cross.

5 comments:

Tom in Vegas said...

I, too, long for rolling hills, chirping birds, and lots and lots of greenery. I've made this point on my blog and on the blogs of others many times before. As it stands, I currently live in the most artificial, superficial, unnatural setting in the United States' West Coast- Las Vegas.

I’m thinking somewhere in Europe or New England here in the U.S. might do the trick.

Adrienne said...

All change is hard but I would be sad too if I had to leave the hills and birds.

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

I hate the city but I've lived here over 20yrs because I have to.
But I love my family and just occasionally we see a grey tit or a black bird. I miss sheep and cows and the peaceful green of fields and common, but I wouldn't go back there without the people I love.
You get used to it.
And I have found recently that at the foot of every cross grows a rose.
God bless and comfort you.

Rita said...

Tom,
Do you want a house?! I'm not sure how we'll sell this in the current slumped market.

Adrienne & WSNS,
Thank you for your comments. Hubby is feeling slightly better about moving now that he realises the new area is completely free of Tories (these things matter to him).

AutumnRose said...

Praying for you as you embark on a new journey. If you land anywhere near Cheshire, let me know and you can come visit :) (seriously)

AR xx