Saturday, 2 February 2008

Meme from La Mama

An interesting meme from La Mamma

1. What's been your best Lenten-effort-idea ever?

I'm not sure how I can judge that. I wonder how many of the fruits of our Lents will remain hidden from us in this life. Adding someone who is "difficult" to my daily prayers and making sure my actions towards that someone are what the Lord expects, is a good challenge.

2. And your worst?
Making promises to myself I couldn't keep regarding the works I was going to do. I think we should be very pragmatic about the promises we make... I know God knows our intentions and loves us for them, but I'm sure we sin in deluding ourselves about our over-ambitious holiness.


3. What good Lenten advice would you share?
Dedicate a regular time to prayer each day and "do" the Stations at least weekly in Church, keep the Friday fasts (even when husband/family are not so keen)......the rest will follow. Oh, and don't be disappointed when others don't seem to have your zeal for the season, you never know what is going on in their lives that may be a real battle.

4. And what will feature this year?
Endeavouring to maximise the caritas, money is extremely tight (and the credit has run out!) this season. Caritas will definitely not involve giving money to charity (other than what is collected in our charity boxes dotted round the house for passing loose change), I'm going to have to give much more with the heart, which is as it should be.

Tagging:
Everyone who reads this, please!

p.s: I think what we eat in this season is important. I believe fish is a luxury so is not an option when abstaining from meat. Has anybody got any good recipes for the ultra-simple, meat-free meal. Nothing involving food/spices from overseas either, as they are a luxury too and NO GARLIC (I hate the stuff).

4 comments:

Irene said...

I cannot imagine a world with no garlic.

Rita said...

Hello again Irene,

My problem with garlic is taking it in cold climates, it is OK in hot places as you sweat it out of your system in quick time. In the cooler lands it hangs around for ages.

As the salt content of food is reduced, the garlic content goes up. I know when I've eaten it as my gums start hurting......

AutumnRose said...

I eat fish, not meat, so when I fast I give up fish, and sometimes dairy.

A simple easy veggie dish is a mixed vegetable stew (sauteed onions, peppers, leeks, mushrooms, courgettes, aubergines etc.) & kidney beans or cooked green lentils. Put in a casserole dish with tinned tomatoes and a little stock, and cook in a moderate oven for about an hour. Serve with rice or potatoes.

Or cooked red lentils, mixed with sauteed mushrooms and onions, grtaed cheese and a beaten egg. Cook in a loaf tin topped with cheese, like a meatloaf.

Omelettes or frittatas are also simple and easy, as are chunky soups at this time of year.

AR xx

Tom in Vegas said...

I'm in complete agreement with you, Rita. Especially with regard to attending the Stations of the Cross.