The government in the UK has an ambitious programme of meddling in all aspects of child development to achieve the following aims for children.
(1) Be healthy
(2) Stay safe
(3) enjoy and achieve
(4) Make a positive contribution
(5) achieve economic well-being
Am I the only one who reads this list with anger? They obviously see children as little, isolated, emotionally shallow, consumers. Even in our totally secular society, there should be some mention of family/community, relationships with the elderly and people across the economic divide, awareness of their environment, literacy, emotional development, maturity and a growing sense of what adulthood entails. Not that I'm one for government meddling in such matters, though there should always be a safety net for the most vulnerable. I just find the document so horrifically bland and unloving of the very individuals they claim to be serving.
I'm also too cynical, I'm sure there are some in the corridors of power who will interpret the aims as follows:
(1) Be healthy (wear a condom)
(2) Stay safe (wear a condom)
(3) Enjoy and achieve (wear a condom- its all about pleasure isn't it?)
(4) Make a positive contribution (get your mates to wear condoms)
(5) Achieve economic well-being (wear a condom and make sure you don't have children)