Sunday, 27 January 2008

Book meme



I thought I'd take up the reading meme of Jaimie and Tom in Vegas. Consider yourself tagged if you wish!

1) Which book do you irrationally cringe away from reading, despite seeing only positive reviews?


"Eats Shoots and Leaves" by Lynne Truss, I know good grammar is important by I'm not sure I want to be told what to do by ol' Sally Jockstrap.

2) If you could bring three characters to life for a social event (afternoon tea, a night of clubbing, perhaps a world cruise), who would they be and what would the event be?

A smoke infused afternoon tea with Sherlock Holmes, Don Camillo and Gandalf.


3) (Borrowing shamelessly from the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde): you are told you can’t die until you read the most boring novel on the planet. While this immortality is great for awhile, eventually you realise it’s past time to die. Which book would you expect to get you a nice grave?

I'm not bothered about the nice grave, but if I had to suffer a particular author before I could die, it would have to be Dickens; I don't like his characters (I find them all lacking in any real depth)and I don't like his pompous attitude (takes one to know one, I hear you say!). I'd probably struggle most with, Tale of Two Cities or Hard Times.


4) Come on, we’ve all been there. Which book have you pretended, or at least hinted, that you’ve read, when in fact you’ve been nowhere near it?

I've sniffed at Hawking' Brief History of Time, but never read it. I've never been near the Da Vinci Code, but I'm very good at bluffing that I have!



5) You’re interviewing for the post of Official Book Advisor to some VIP (who’s not a big reader). What’s the first book you’d recommend and why? (If you feel like you’d have to know the person, go ahead and personalise the VIP).

Assuming my VIP was somebody important, I'd get them to read The Prisoners Dilemma by William Poundstone. It is a biography of the colourful physicist John Von Neumann, an explanation of Game Theory and an overview of the development of post war political and economic thinking. It is a very important book wrapped up in a jolly good read. We live in a world that runs on the logic of Game Theory and it is slowly unraveling.


6) A good fairy comes and grants you one wish: you will have perfect reading comprehension in the foreign language of your choice. Which language do you go with?

Finnish: So that I can read their national epic the Kalevala in its native tongue. It is a beautiful language to listen to and inspired Tolkien's elvish.



7) A mischievous fairy comes and says that you must choose one book that you will reread once a year for the rest of your life (you can read other books as well). Which book would you pick?

Pope Benedict's Jesus of Nazareth



8) I know that the book blogging community, and its various challenges, have pushed my reading borders. What’s one bookish thing you ‘discovered’ from book blogging (maybe a new genre, or author, or new appreciation for cover art-anything)?


G. K. Chesterton



9) That good fairy is back for one final visit. Now, she’s granting you your dream library! Describe it. Is everything leather bound? Is it full of first edition hardcovers? Pristine trade paperbacks? Perhaps a few favourite authors have inscribed their works? Go ahead-let your imagination run free.

Downstairs with french windows overlooking a large but scruffy garden containing two wise and thoughtful donkeys, ceiling to floor books (old, new, scruffy and weighty)and one of those sliding ladders to reach the top shelves, a multi-fuel stove, good chairs, room for my husband's books as well as my own and somewhere comfortable for my three bears to sit and think. My books would be technical physics books, popular science books, the complete works of Smollett and Trollope, poetry, sagas, art and architecture books, theology books and lives and writings of the saints, anarchocatholicism books, medieval history books and maps galore.

6 comments:

Irene said...

"We live in a world that runs on the logic of Game Theory and it is slowly unraveling."

Hopeless, hunh.

Rita said...

No, not hopeless! We've just got remember we're human and humans do wonderfully, hear-warmingly foolish things...it is the only way we keep on going.

Mac McLernon said...

Oh, oh... I want to do this one... go on, tag me... please? Pretty please?? Pleeeease! Let me! Go on...

la mamma said...

Thanks for that, Rita. I'm poorly and not fit for thinking creatively, so I think I'll tag myself and get on with this...

AutumnRose said...

Mine's up!
http://iamhisbeloved.wordpress.com/2008/01/29/book-meme/

Rita said...

Thanks, Ladies. All very illuminating!