Thursday, 27 September 2007

O Deus, ego amo te!

Please pray for the repose of the soul of my grandfather who died in Penang yesterday aged 91. Pray also for the wife he leaves behind. I've printed below his favourite prayer, he e-mailed this to me in the Latin a few years ago, it somehow seems very appropriate now.

The prayer of St Francis Xavier
O Deus, ego amo te,
Nec amo te, ut salves me,
Aut, quia non amantes te
Æterno punis igne.
Tu, tu, mi Jesu, totum me
Amplexus es in cruce;
Tuliste clavos, lanceam,
Multamque ignominiam,
Innumeros dolores,
Sudores, et angores,
Et mortem, et hæc propter me,
Ac pro me peccatore.
Cur igitur non amem te,
O Jesu amantissime,
Non, ut in cœlo salves me,
Aut ne æternum damnes me,
Nec præmii ullius spe;
Sed sicut tu amasti me?
Sic amo et amabo te,
Solum quia Rex meus es,
Et solum, quia Deus es.

The translation is by Gerald Manley Hopkins SJ

0 GOD, I love thee, I love thee-
Not out of hope of heaven for me
Nor fearing not to love and be
In the everlasting burning.
Thou, thou, my Jesus, after me
Didst reach thine arms out dying,
For my sake sufferedst nails, and lance,
Mocked and marred countenance,
Sorrows passing number,
Sweat and care and cumber,
Yea and death, and this for me,
And thou couldst see me sinning:
Then I, why should not I love thee,
Jesu, so much in love with me?
Not for heaven's sake;
not to be out of hell by loving thee;
Not for any gains I see;
But just the way that thou didst me
I do love and I will love thee:
What must I love thee, Lord, for then?
For being my king and God. Amen.

4 comments:

faccio la mamma said...

Prayer duly said. That's a beautiful prayer, thank you. God bless you, your grandmother and the rest of your family at this time.

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Beautiful prayer which I am saying for him today.

God keep you and comfort you

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Rita
I've tagged you for an award-come to my blog and get it :)

Rita said...

Thank you for your prayers.