Sunday, 18 November 2007

Random thoughts.....

I'm totally unsure who I am going to vote for and feel the only way I can participate in the democratic process, (something I feel I should do) is to spoil my ballot paper. I'll just have to hope they don't introduce electronic ballots.

Why have medical professionals decided a 90+ year old lady I know, who has always been a heavy drinker (she is certainly alcohol dependent), should be made to stop? This is a very risky business and the benefits of this intervention are a mystery to me.

The psychological effects of using the contraceptive pill are not discussed or even acknowledged by most of the medical profession. The following scenario, however is one I know many women relate to: on the pill, enter in to a stable relationship, marry, stay on pill, decide on having children, come off the pill, neither partner knows how to cope with the emotional rollercoaster of having the natural hormone cycle in charge again, much marital strife, arguments, distress, couples moving apart from each other, don't recognise the person they married.....

Those lovely frosty mornings have seen off the last of the roses that were quite happily blooming in the garden up till then. I hope the weather doesn't warm up again, it is so refreshing to witness the seasons move on, something that hasn't happened much in recent years.

Has anybody else seen the delicate way blackbirds eat windfall apples, it is in such contrast to their gross manners when eating the worms and slugs in the spring? They eat them the way children will pick at a Jaffa cake, systematically and symmetrically picking off the tastiest bits until there is nothing left.

If we have to have a national curriculum, surely the only thing that should be on it is Eschatology?

6 comments:

AutumnRose said...

I have enjoyed your random thoughts today, Rita.

Thanks for praying for my friend, btw. She is on the way to well-ness as I write!

Have a very blessed week,
AR xx

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

I love the sight of a last rose just before the frost. Ours are yellow.

If someone has made it to 90+ while drinking so heavily aren't the medics worried she would have a heart attack if she stopped now?

Thank you so much for the Matt Talbot CTS booklet-I'll get it back to you in a few days.
One o'these days I'll go to Al Anon. I never know if I am doing the right thing with my alcholic friends and family.

Rita said...

Our last roses were all pink and about the most robust roses I've seen all year. The yellow ones gave up some months ago.

The medical profession are taking some risk with this lady, they know that removing alcohol from her life could kill her, so they are insisting it is reduced steadily with medication. She is not a relative so I can't interfere, I just think it is dumb and so so her family. The lady in question is not best pleased herself. I'm a little concerned there may be pressure to comply with the "treatment". M-I-L (nearly 90)is in a similar situation, to my mind on far too many treatments and her life seems to be just a series of hospital visits so it has very little quality about it.

I'm not sure there is a "right" way of doing things with alcoholic loved ones. Mum has a lot of time for Al Anon, but she doesn't have a church and the remarkable network of non-judgemental, loving souls contained therein. Their little acts of kindness are worth so much.

Mrs Jackie Parkes MJ said...

i went to Al-Anon for a couple of years..they are very good..

la mamma said...

Ta, Rita.

Picky, I know, but in schools, children are taught the National Curriculum and RE. The latter isn't part of the NC. Not many people know that. They do now!

WhiteStoneNameSeeker said...

Hey La Mamma-hello!